Satellite depot operations
- They are receiving centers of Tobacco haulage to Floors Markets.
- Act as information centers to farmers in the rural areas.
- Outlets of service deliveries like Hessian distribution.
- Offers a subsidized scheme to its members.
- Collects Hessians from buyers on growers’ behalf.
- Replenishes ex-rated pieces and also buys for the scheme new pieces to meet growing numbers of voluntarily registered members.
- Contracts transporters to haul its member’s tobacco from satellite depots to various disginated auction floors at very competitive rates.
- Ensures safety of its member’s tobacco by contracting reputable transporters whose vehicles have valid licenses including insurance.
- Grower query handling.
Tobacco Marketing and Production Promotions
- Participates at the ITGA which TAMA is a founding member to promote Malawi Tobacco.
- Undertakes promotion tours to market the Malawi tobacco.
- Collaborates with the Agricultural Research and Extension Trust – ARET in providing extension services to its members.
Policy Lobbying and Advocacy
- Represents growers at various Boards in the Industry.
- Involves the farmers to participate in policy formulation through its interactive area meetings where all industry players interact.
- Has a Board of Directors “Executives” who govern and safeguard interests of the Trust.
Tobacco Sales Representation
- Represents growers on the auction floors through its Tobacco Sales Representatives.
- Bargains on behalf of growers on contract sales.
Media and Mass Communications
- The Trust has a communications policy developed in cognizant of the objectives of the Trust.
- Publishes quarterly Newsletters and annual Magazine to inform and update growers about the industry developments.
- Authors a Malawi Tobacco report on quarterly basis in an international Journal called Tobacco Courier for the International Tobacco Growers’ Association ITGA.
- Conducts area meetings to address and get feedback from growers on operational, administrative and policy issues.
- Conducts Council meetings quarterly to have issues from its Councillors representing growers from its 23 wards across the Country.
- Has a Face Book Page and Twitter handle.
- The Trust collaborates with the Agricultural Research and Extension Trust – ARET, which offers extension services to its members. ARET also does research and has an education institution called Mwimba College of Agriculture based in Kasungu.
- Tama has a section in which there are Business Officers across the country who carry out extension service duties.
- TAMA acts as a link between leaf merchants and growers. It therefore ensures that the signed contracts are discharged by all parties in a fairest manner.
- TAMA established a rehandling company that is fully fledged to assist its members in mitigating the problems they used to face in as far as rehandling is concerned. The rates at this company are very competitive and the operations are very effective.
- Some of the grading centres which are fully operational are:Mchezi Grading Centre in Lilongwe, Chinkhoma Grading Centre in Kasungu, Mzuzu Grading Centre in Luwinga (Mzuzu) and Vumbwe Grading Centre in Blantyre.
Rural and Electronic Banking
- TAMA partnered with First Merchant Bank (FMB), Farmers World and AGORA to come up with Makwacha Card. The card is used to access sales and proceeds in Farmers World and AGORA shops that are rural based. The card is also used as an Identity.
Gome Producers and Marketing Cooperative Society of TA Chakhaza in Dowa has secured relief support from the CADECOM of Archdiocese of Lilongwe after 20 members fell victims of the December 2021 dry spell. They will receive red potato seed cuttings.